At cApStAn, a pioneering company in linguistic quality assurance, and quality control, we GUIDE, we TRANSLATE, we VERIFY and we SHARE. Apart from and beyond the content that we process for you, which is covered by confidentiality agreements, we have the duty to handle your data carefully.
We will never give your data to third parties. We will never sell your data to any third-parties. We will not harvest or buy personal data in bulk and use them without your permission.
This being said, cApStAn needs some of your personal data if you are to purchase or use our services, when you contact us, register for a webinar or training, or when you access certain services or documents on our website. We also collect personal data when you apply for a job, whether through our website or otherwise.
If you represent an organization that purchases or uses our services, your personal data will be used in connection with this organization.
1. What personal data do we collect?
In general, we may collect the following types of data from you:
- e-mail address,
- organization (company),
- phone number,
- a profile description. For clients and prospects, the profile description is a single phrase, describing the user group or the type of organization you belong to (individual/freelancer, translation company, other company, educational institution, international institution, assessment platform provider, pollster, etc.).
We use anonymous cookies that are necessary for the operation of our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. If you have any questions, please write to email@example.com.
If you purchase our services or sell services to us, we also collect your billing details.
Whenever we collect personal data from you, we assume that you provide your own details, not the details of another person. If, however, you fill in someone else’s data, please make sure you have the express, written, and voluntary consent of that person – or else a written authorization if you are filling in data on behalf of your employer or a manager at work.
2. Why do we need your data?
In general, we need your personal data for the following purposes:
- Checking if you are eligible to perform certain services
- Contacting you about services or changes to services and service terms
- Billing you for paid services you purchase or subscribe to
- Inviting you to surveys about our services, or plans, for the purpose of quality assurance as well as more accurate planning
Storing and keeping some of your data may be required by law – see the section about how long we keep your data below.
Processing your data, as defined in the GDPR, for some purposes may be required for us as part of our obligation under existing contracts or agreements. In such cases, opting out from data processing is not possible without terminating the related contract (which may be a service agreement).
3. How we will not use your data?
We will not disclose your personal data to unauthorized third-party recipients without your prior express consent.
4. Who will process your data and where?
For the purposes of mass e-mailing, surveys, market analysis, and recruitment, we are contracting and using the following external data processing agents:
- Mailchimp: Mass e-mailing service. This provider is based in the United States. Their privacy information is available at https://kb.mailchimp.com/accounts/management/about-the-general-data-protection-regulation.
The above data processing agents are exclusively used for the specific purposes outlined above. For all other purposes, we store and process your data on servers we host in Belgium or in the United States.
5. How long do we keep your data?
Under Belgian law, we are required to keep your billing details and all documents about your business transactions with cApStAn for 5 years after your last transaction.
These documents include offers, quotes, contracts, invoices, banking documents and customer support communication. After this period, your personal data will be irreversibly destroyed.
Any personal data held by us for marketing and service update notifications will be kept by us until such time that you notify us that you no longer wish to receive this information. If you wish to know more about our data retention policy, please contact our data protection officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. What are your rights?
Regarding the personal data we collect and use, you have the right to:
- require us to inform you about the data we are storing and processing about you
- >require us to rectify or erase these data (exceptions may apply if the law or existing contracts require)
- restrict or object to the data processing
- transfer your data without restrictions to another data controller. This is called the right to data portability.
- withdraw your consent to process your data in general or for specific purposes (opt-out). Our actions to process your data before the time at which you withdraw your consent will still remain lawful.
If you believe that any personal data we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete, you may request to see this information, and have it corrected or deleted. Please contact our Data Protection Officer: email@example.com .
7. Exceptions and restrictions
To these rights, the following exceptions and restrictions may apply:
The above rights may not apply to non-personal data – if the data are about an organization and do not identify individuals.
For specific (contractual) purposes, you – as an individual – may have the right to opt out from data processing. However, the organization you represent may not have this right. In this case, you are kindly asked to provide the data of another (consenting) representative to be the contact for your organization.